- Category: Anglais
Traditional french brasserie in Paris
The early 20th century and the Roaring 20s left an indelible mark on Montparnasse.
The intelligentsia and the major artists of the day all gathered in this legendary bohemian quarter, and the hot spots of Montparnasse welcomed the most prominent figures of the day, from Picasso to Modigliani, Cocteau, Trotsky and Fitzgerald. This is the rich, historical tradition that shaped Le Montparnasse 1900.
The changes in the restaurant are inextricably linked to the changes the area has seen. Opened in 1858, it was bought in 1903 by Edouard Chartier. It was not until 1906 however that major renovations began that gave the location its sumptuous Art Nouveau décor – a skylight with glass in warm tones, mirrors with beautiful wood frames, a long, finely-worked wooden balustrade and soft lighting over it all.
In 1924 Bouillon Chartier was sold and became the Bouillon Rougeot until 1977. Since then the restaurant has crossed the ages without losing any of its original charm, which earned it a historical monument listing on 16 July 1984.
After restoration, it opened its doors on 4 June 2003, to continue transporting diners to the Belle Époque. And if the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, you’ll have to test the traditional dishes that fill the menu, managing to include both originality and quality. Or let yourself by guided by the Belle Époque Menu.
The restaurant has a terrace where diners may enjoy the fine weather and more private dining rooms.